I have worked with Gord over the past 15 years on a variety of different consulting assignments. Assignments ranging from business strategy, organization design, leadership development, organization change management projects and executive coaching. Gord has a broad-based human resources background that he brings to bear on these types of organizational human capital issues. His values-based approach to leadership, coupled with his human capital insights makes him a strong business partner. Always enjoy working with him.
I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with Gord MacDonald over the past ten years at Alliance Data Systems, LoyaltyOne. I have always been impressed with Gord’s level of professionalism and remarkable ability to work with people at all levels within an organization. He is a genuine leader, eager to develop his direct reports, takes a great deal of pride in his work, and is extremely goal-oriented. His passion and caring for people, speak volumes about the superior nature of him. It is clear to me as I hope it is to anyone in the business community, Gord MacDonald is an exceptional HR leader, one that contributes greatly to any organization.
Client is in the Pharmaceutical Industry with a head office of 100 employees based in Southern Ontario, with worldwide clients and and has been established for 25 years.
The client organization did not have a fully dedicated HR function in place and was experiencing multiple people challenges across the business. Some of the issues included;
- Multiple employee locations
- Rising employee relations issues
- HR being “handled” by various well intended employees
- Increasing frequency of expensive employee legal issues.
GM HR PROPOSED SOLUTIONS
- Our HR expertise and perspective were brought to bear in supporting our client in establishing a new and customized solution to HR presence, and efficiency.
- We worked with the client in understanding the varying HR points of pain across the business. We conducted an “HR Audit” and documented existing HR practices, tools, programs that were in place.
- We partnered with the leadership team in understanding the company business strategy and the employee capability requirements needed to deliver on that strategy.
- We developed a relevant HR strategy, priorities and resources that focused on new approaches to HR issues.
- Advised the client by providing new ways to address the issues identified above. Including consistent onsite HR Solutions resource, designed to: provide advice and HR expertise to leadership and employees. While also learning company culture, and trusting relationships along the way.
- Established appropriate HR focus and deliverables, designed to support business goals and creatively introduce a new HR perspective. We resourced the HR function with them.
RESULTS & CONCLUSION
- Working with the client, we developed a broad-based HR strategy supporting the business.
- As part of the HR strategy, we implemented an HR resourcing plan with clear accountabilities. The client hired a dedicated, onsite, junior HR resource, that became the day-to-day face of HR to employees. We supplemented that resource with a senior HR person that dedicates 1 day per week, onsite, to the management team. This virtual resource is additionally available as needed, by management.
Entrepreneurial, Toronto-based news distribution and social communication solutions company with 300+ employees worldwide, established for 20 years.
Concerns around declining employee engagement, the company required a solution for more effective career development for its employees while also supporting business strategy.
GM HR PROPOSED SOLUTIONS
- HR Solutions worked with both the leadership and HR teams in reviewing the business strategy, including current and future workforce requirements.
- We reviewed employee demographic data, employee engagement data, turnover of top talent and existing career development tools and resources. We connected the HR “dots”.
- We developed and implemented a Career Planning Framework aligned to the business strategy that: Clarified roles and accountabilities for leaders and employees; Provided leadership training for career conversations; Created a promote from within, where appropriate, philosophy, helping to retain talent and support employee development; Provided training and tools for leaders and employees to engage in meaningful career development discussions.
- Having benefited from leading HR teams in entrepreneurial organizations, HR Solutions was able to quickly understand the company culture and apply solutions that were creative and fit the client.
- Being a niche HR consulting firm, we don’t have to follow the beaten path or adhere to protocol. We explore and find new approaches to client challenges.
RESULTS & CONCLUSION
- Our customized solutions developed with our client had an immediate and measurable impact on employee engagement, (through pre-post “pulse” surveys), and ultimately business results.
- On a go-forward basis the organization communicated a performance culture to employees that articulated; Yes performance results are important, but we also want to reinforce performance results with meaningful employee growth and development discussions and opportunities.