Gord MacDonald is a positive and inspiring HR leader who takes a big-picture approach. In his twenty-year career in HR he has acquired expertise in all areas of building HR strategies, including employee engagement, corporate culture, leadership development, talent management, employee communications and compensation policies and practices. A natural and collaborative problem solver, his firm grasp of the theoretical side of HR is balanced by his practical approach. Through his progressive career moves he has developed a strong business acumen, and has a proven ability to improve business efficiency and results.
Gord’s belief in the strength of others makes him a relationship builder who remains open-minded and receptive to their input. He thrives in growth-driven environments: he adapts quickly to changing situations, and can provide creative new ideas and sound judgments to senior executives, peers and line staff members. And he can always do so with a style of leadership characterized by its calm thoughtfulness.
Gord was most recently Vice President, Human Resources at Genworth Canada. In this executive leadership role he had the mandate to build and lead the Canadian human resources function for this public company.
Prior to that, Gord worked at LoyaltyOne for 11 years, in a series of increasingly senior positions culminating in the role of Vice President, Human Resources & Administration. Prior to LoyaltyOne, Gord worked in the corporate travel industry with American Express and The Rider Travel Group.
Gord teaches a course at University of Toronto’s School of Continuing Studies, facilitating one of the newest courses in their Certificate in Entrepreneurship. Links to the course, “Building and Managing Your Team” can be found in the sidebar to the right.
Gord is also a member of the Special Olympics Toronto’s Advisory and Honorary Partners Team
Sample projects include:
- Developed and implemented an Employer of Choice strategy contributing to the organization becoming a Top 50 employer.
- Audited and redesigned Employee Communications activities to improve effectiveness and nurture corporate culture.
- Created and implemented an integrated Employee Development Framework, including; key performance competencies, performance management process, career paths, development resources, leadership development programs, compensation programs, recognition programs.
- Redesigned and implemented a Long-Term Incentive plan in support of a changing business strategy.
- Human Capital Strategy and Leadership
- Building Talent & Strong Teams
- Building Strong Corporate Cultures
- Employee Engagement
- Leading Organizational Change
- Employee Communications
- Leading a Team to Achieve a Common Vision
- Balancing Theory with Pragmatism
- Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach
- Leadership Development Skills
- Proactive Development of Business Efficiencies
- Project Management
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor of Administration, Concordia University
- Society for Human Resources Management
- Strategic Capability Network